LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Solicitor
Experience:  Experienced solicitor
76316425

I live in a terraced property of six, c150years old. My deeds

I live in a terraced property of six, c150years old. My deeds do not indicate responsibility for maintenance. When I moved in, the neighbours said their practice was No 1 and 2 took responsibility for the RHS and neighbours 4-6 took responsibility for the LHS. That left me with no responsibility for maintenance. Those neighbours have left and I am the longest resident here (13 yrs). I know that a previous owner of my property replaced the LHS fence badly creating a dog leg to my benefit. When I moved in, I asked my then neighbour if she would like to share the cost of replacing the fence. She said no. So, I re-planted that side of the fence. I now have new neighbours, who want to replace the fence, which is rotting and falling down, and want to straighten it along the "original line". I would now have to prune and may even lose a shrub or too. Do I have to grin and bear it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, do you need more information?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Your website promises an answer typically within 7-10 minutes, but I have not had an answer in 4 hrs. If you do not answer soon, I shall be requesting a refund.
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you.
On the assumption that you and your neighbour's land is registered then the short answer is that theoretically you might have a claim on the land, but in reality it would be very unlikely to be successful.
So the very short answer is yes you probably do need to grin and bear ot.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. Does my neighbour get to chose the style and height of the fence, or is that negotiable. I presume his deeds will be similar to mine, but he may have "inherited" the understanding that he has maintenance responsibility for that fence.
They get to choose but it should be within reason. If you are giving them what they want er the fence line then hopefully they will be reasonable.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks.PS, yesterday I think someone tried to answer my question, but I couldn't read the screen on my computer. I phoned your help line today, and was advised to switch server. So, today I accessed the website via BT server and it works. You could improve your site by adding something along these lines to your Q&A lists.