Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Garden division

Customer Question

Dear sir/madam,

We live in a semidetached property that has been split by our landlord in two flats (ground floor and first floor). We are occupying the first floor and have been told by our landlord, almost four years ago when we moved in, that since we do not have access to the back garden then we own the front yard/parking area of the house. At that time, it was convenient, as we owned a car and the ground floor didn't. After the ground floor tenants moved out, we had others move in that had pleaded that we share the front as they owned a car. We agreed. Recently, we had started a business which prompted us to buy a new vehicle that since then has been parked in front of the house and obviously in front of the driveway. While we have always been incredibly prompt when it came to moving our car whenever the new tenants wanted to come or go, we had been approached by them today under the context that we are bothering him and his family. Our new car being there is an inconvenience and if there is something that can be done about it. We said of course we have an alternative.... Move your car as it was our garden to begin with. It all went downhill from there but pretty much that is the situation. Is there any piece of law that might suggest that is indeed acceptable to split the gardens the way we have been instructed by the landlord when we first moved here? They are basically stating that as they are ground floor they have ownership both over the front and back garden so if the law thinks otherwise, then I want to be able to communicate that to them. Would appreciate the help. Kindest regards, Alina

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Please understand it is rare for us not to be able to find the right Professional to assist our customers. We can close this question and return your good faith deposit to the original funding source on request.
Please let me know how you wish to proceed and again I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
I hope you will give JustAnswer a try again in the future,