LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Solicitor
Experience:  Experienced solicitor
76316425

My assured shorthold tenancy agreement has finished a few days

Customer Question

my assured shorthold tenancy agreement has finished a few days ago after me renting the house for 6 years. My house move has been delayed by another month and my landlord has insisted my rent be increased by over 30%
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you.
When did he tell you this and in what form ( ie in writing, verbally or by a formal notice).
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I was told verbally by the estate agent that my tenancy would not be renewed. I agreed verbally to move out at the end of June. There have been a few delays with my new property purchase and I have kept the managing agents fully informed and have proof of this. There seemed to be no problem and the managing agent was sounding very accommodating. However on 2nd July the date the rent was paid in full for the month of July, the landlord contacted me directly by email to say that he has not agreed to an extra month and because i am now out of contract he will agree to another month on condition that I pay an extra £900.00 rent. This has come out of the blue.

Meanwhile I asked the managing agent why I have not had any written section 21 notice served to me and he said he dropped one off at the house in April, by hand. I have not had sight of this and have disputed it.

I am moving anyway and will be in a position to do so in the next few weeks I just want to know if the landlord is entitled to put the rent up by 30% with no notice or anything and if he can then deduct this from my deposit

After a fixed-term expires, your rent can be increased if:
-you agree to the increase
-your landlord gives you one month's written notice of the proposed increase on a special form
You have a periodic tenancy and if your tenancy agreement does not contain information about rent increases, you do not have to accept the increase. You can continue to pay the original level of rent until you and your landlord reach an agreement, or your landlord serves the correct notice of intent to increase rent.
The short answer is that no, the landlord is not entitled to put the rent up as he is trying to do and you can simply pay at the existing rates.