Alice H, Solicitor
Experience:  Partner in national law firm with 20+ years legal experience
30932268

The laurel hedge on the communal "park" area runs the length

The laurel hedge on the communal "park" area runs the length of my drive. It overhangs the drive by 18inches in places. Can I cut it back to the boundary even if some branches loop back and could reduce the height.
Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
Good morning. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to help with your question. Please clarify: apart from the overhanging is there any damage being caused?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No damage at present but visitors have problems reversing down the drive and wing mirrors are likely to be the first casualties. I have asked for it to be cut back to the edge of my property but it is only trimmed and once trimmed still overhangs my property.
Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
OK. You have the right to cut the overhanging branches back to the boundary line. So long as you take reasonable steps to ensure that you are only cutting branches that overhang any reduction in height as a result of this will not be a problem. Obviously you need to be careful to only cut back as much as you need. I suggest taking photographs before and after the cuttings so that you have a record of your work.