Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I may have the opportunity to buy a garage from a neighbour.

I may have the opportunity to buy a garage from a neighbour. The garage is at the bottom of his garden, but opens directly onto a side road - there is no driveway. It would be possible to sell the few square yards of garden with the garage on it without any difficulties about access.
If I bought the garage, how would I go about establishing it as a new, separate property? Presumably there is a standard procedure - where would I start?
Thanks for any advice!
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

I am Al and am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

If you proceed, your Seller's Solicitor would draw up a Land Registry Transfer document, to include a Plan of the land being sold to you. Your Solicitor would register this Transfer at the Land Registry after you had completed the purchase. The Land Registry will then register you as the new owner of the land and the land would be allocated a new Land Registry Title Number.

The land and your ownership of it will then be a separate entity to the Seller's house and any land they retain.

I hope this assists and sets out the legal position.

Kind Regards

Al

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks - very straightforward!

Could the Land Registry Transfer document be drawn up by my solicitor, rather than the seller's solicitor?

I think the owner of the garage would be more willing to sell if he didn't have to oversee any part of the process. If I could tell him all the legal stuff would be handled on my side, it might help things along.

Hi Michael,

Your Solicitor could prepare the Transfer, although this would normally be done by the Seler's Solicitor. If the Seller does not instruct a Solicitor, he would need to go to a Solicitor and complete an ID1 Form- this is a Form verifying his identity for Land Registry purposes.

Good luck!

Kind Regards

Al