LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Solicitor
Experience:  Experienced solicitor
76316425

SOme bungalows were built nearly touching our boundry wall.

SOme bungalows were built nearly touching our boundry wall. We have a large garden surrounded by trees e.i.cherry luburnham & mountain ash. Our neibour is now insisting these are damaging his property causing moss & leaves filling his guttering & is insisting we cut the trees back & clean up his property & if we wont he will get profecionals in to do the job & send us the bill. Is he correct in thinking he can do this? we are willing to trim the trees but they were there long before they built the house. I would appreciate your help. thank you
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am s solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you.
No he has no legal right to come on to your property to do this nor can he send contractors to do so.
I doubt you have to clean up his property for him either. When was his bungalow built?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

his bungalow built about 2007 I wanted to know if I am liable & do I have to cut the trees down for him or should I just prune them? he is saying I face a bill to clean up his property & if he gets contractors in to do the job will send me the bill can he do this & will I have to pay?

You do not have to cut down your trees unless they are seriously threatening his property (eh undermining the foundations) If serious damage is caused to his property by the trees there is a possible defence available to you that he moved to the nuisance. Ie he can hardly complain abut the trees when he chose to move next door to them. This could get messy though.
Pruning them may well be sensible. You are not responsible for cleaning up leaves and moss. He has no legal right to send contractors onto your land. If he sends you a bill send it back.