Experience:  30 years experience in property law.
31090051

I am currently in the process of purchasing a one bedroom top floor flat. The roof abov

Hi I am currently in the process of purchasing a one bedroom top floor flat. The roof above it is a butterfly roof but I have spoken to a builder who said it is possible to build an extension on top of this. I have posed the question to my solicitor to ask if the loft/ roof belongs to the top floor flat. The flat is leasehold with share of the freehold. There are two other freeholders. Having read some of the other queries on here I was wondering if I should be asking about who owns the front and the back gardens. The back garden I am unable to access- but is it possible that I could still own part of it?if I don't own the roof or space above my flat - what can I do? Because I do want to extend upwards.
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. Having regard to what you say, you should not exchange contracts until you are satisfied that your solicitor has made appropriate investigations and advised you so that you can make an informed choice as regards ***** *****
The garden is the easy bit. You should know what you are buying and your solicitor should be able to look at the title and tell you what garden ground, if any, you will own
As regards ***** ***** space, again your solicitor should be able to look at the title and advise. If you do own the roof space, no problem. If you don't, then you would have to offer to buy out the roof space from those that do. That is why you shouldn't exchange if you want to extend and would otherwise not buy the property.
I hope that helps. You really have to rely on your solicitor to investigate all of this and report to you.
Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.