Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

We moved into our leasehold property (semi-detached house)

Customer Question

We moved into our leasehold property (semi-detached house) almost three years ago. A condition of the lease is that we are responsible for the maintenance of any boundary hedges. The boundary hedge in this case consists of approximately twenty thirty-five-foot leylandii trees! The largest of these (about half the total) are now beginning to create problems with roots lifting the patio. In addition, at least two of these are making straining noises in high winds and, as the trees are well capable of falling onto our and adjacent properties, this is something of a worry. We have been professionally advised that these trees NEED to be removed, which we are quite willing to pay for. My question is whether these have to be replaced like-for-like, if at all, or whether the provision of a hedge more in keeping with the dimensions of the property would be acceptable.
The lease (977 years remaining) is now in the hands of a large lease management company who will not even consult on the issue without the payment of a disproportionate fee.
I would appreciate any feedback you could offer, even if it is simply to point me in the right direction for further investigation.
Best regards
Neil
Expert:  wingrovebuyer replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Can you tell me the exact wording of the lease with regard to boundary hedges? Thanks. WB