Matt Jones
Matt Jones, Solicitor
Experience:  I am a qualified and practicing Solicitor with over 7 years post qualification experience
13732703

Should I allow purchaser to measure up house before exchange?

Should I allow purchaser to measure up house before exchange? Probate house falling into disrepair. I am sole executor and live 120 miles away but don't want to lose sale. Exchange scheduled 31 July. Brother could let him in, but I am sole executor.
Expert:  Matt Jones replied 2 years ago.
Hi I will try and help
it really is a question of balance for you. On the one hand you want to be as accommodating for the buyers as possible, on the other you don't want the Buyer to be put off by any disrepair. There is nothing legally to stop you from letting the buyers attend (as long as, for security purposes, someone who you trust is there). In fact many sellers and buyers do this, however there is no legal obligation on you to allow them access.
I know this may not be a black and white answer you may have hoped for but I hope it has been of some assistance.