LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Solicitor
Experience:  Experienced solicitor
76316425

Final inspection when leaving a rented property Landlords

Final inspection when leaving a rented property
Landlords carried it out without the tenant being present...found issues that tenant does not agree with,refusing further inspection with tenant and deposit now in dispute.
Can landlords do this or is it legal requirement that vacating tenant has to present at the inspection?
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this question for you.
There is no general legal requirement that a tenant be present at a final inspection. There may be something in the tenancy agreement about notifying the tenant and allowing them to be present. It is obviously good practice for a tenant to be there.
Is the deposit in a guarantee scheme and if so which one?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
As far as I am aware the landlord has retained the deposit and not submitted it to a protection scheme.
I thought this was a legal requirement now
It is a legal requirement and you can take action against him for it seeking compensation for return of the deposit plus extra compensation for his failure to place the deposit in a scheme.