Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

OK. I am a council tenant. Have 2 other family members in a 3 bedroom house. Have a 23

Customer Question

OK.
I am a council tenant.
Have 2 other family members in a 3 bedroom house.
Have a 23 yr old son, effectively homeless from tomorrow. (Has been at a friends for a few weeks) He has not lived with me for a good few years and cannot live at my address now.
My question is - can I rent a house privately, and he live there? He wouldn't be able to as no one seems to accept DSS people with no job.
He has been down council homeless route, and they say they are not obliged to help him anymore as he has had emergency accommodation given to him and he has lost it.
He has MH problems and needs support to function in an adult world - can't cope with bills etc so needs help.
So, effectively, I would be renting privately, with his DSS paying the rent.
Can we do this or is it going to be a whole lot of trouble ? I cannot risk osing the housing I already have.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
I assume you would be funding this yourself? Does your tenancy agreement allow you to rent another house?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes essentially privately funded. However, son just in receipt of housing benefit. ?can he use this in a house I am renting.

Rang Council this morning, and the answer I got was if they didn't know about it, that's ok!!

I think its all going to be very dodgy and land me in deep water. but I don't know what to do! Can't bear to think of my son having nowhere to live!

Have just spoken again with Council. I can rent privately, but son could not use his housing benefit as he has to have a tenancy to do this against. LOL.. I've just answered my own question!

Does your tenancy agreement say you cant have another house?