Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

My girlfriend and I recently split She is still in my flat (that I own) and is meant to m

My girlfriend and I recently split
She is still in my flat (that I own) and is meant to move out next Friday.
As she said she couldn't afford a deposit on a new flatshare and would end up selling her car, I offered to waive the last month's rent payment. She has sold her car anyway and she admitted she lied.
She has a pet rabbit that damaged my brand new £2500 sofas. When she bought him she promised that she would replace or repair any damage he did. I agreed to waive that too so as not to create animosity.
A while ago some of her clothes were damaged by some mould in the spare bedroom.
She is claiming I owe her money and that she "deserves" it for cleaning the flat and decorating (neither of which I ever asked her to do).
She is threatening that, if I don't give her money, something will happen to the flat. She won't be specific in what, but she has said that I won't know when she moves out and that, one day, I'll just come home from work and I'll see what she's done.
I have a
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 1 year ago.
What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have a feeling she'll destroy the flat and my possessions (clothes, TV, sofas, furniture etc)

Am I able to change the locks when she leaves for work in the morning and prevent her re-entry to the flat?

She is not a legal tenant as I understand it

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 1 year ago.
Well, she is probably not a legal tenant but you cannot just refuse her entry.
She is still entitled to notice.
If she does destroy anything then just report it to the police as a criminal damage and complain to the highest authority if they do not act as they would act fast enough if she were saying claiming that you assaulted her by sneezing upon her!
You would also have a claim against her for the value of anything damaged.
The truth is that she may do that and I realise you would prefer she didn't but you would have an action against her and she would regret it long term.
If you change the locks that is unlawful eviction and she will only seek an injunction to get back in which will make it harder to get her out long term.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've effectively already given her notice as we broke up towards the end of June and she has found somewhere she can move into on the 31st July so I agreed to let her stay til then. Does that change anything? That I've already given her notice but she's threatening to do the damage before / as she leaves?

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 1 year ago.
Not really.
You can't just change the locks.
If she is making threats to cause criminal damage then that is an offence of itself that is quite serious. If you have any evidence of that then go and report it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So I could massively lose out here. It was a verbal threat. I can't prove she made it.

Even if I bring charges for criminal damage, she doesn't have the money to replace all the stuff she would destroy (including the flat)

What's the minimum notice I need to give if I want to bring her eviction date forward? Surely she's essentially a guest?

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 1 year ago.
Well, you can. You can make an allegation and give a S9 statement which is, ultimately, all most common assaults amount to.
She is not just a guest. She paid rent on your account or at least made some contribution. She is a licence at the very least and they are entitled to 28 days notice.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok so she's had 28 days notice (we agreed this on 21st June that she would move out). She then found a place to move and I kindly agreed to let her stay til 31st July as that's when she could move into the new place. Again, does that change anything?

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 1 year ago.
Not if you have agreed to the 28th.
Sorrt.
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience: Over 5 years in practice.