Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I own a property in London (NW11). It is not subject to a mortgage.

Customer Question

I own a property in London (NW11). It is not subject to a mortgage. Recently repairs were done to the whole building. I was charged GBP 1600 for work done to windows. The work is so bad that I have to, at my own expense, bear the costs of having to repair the windows once again at the cost of GBP1400.
The tenure of the property is that the landlord has granted the owners of 16 flats in the block a 999 year lease. We are thus all directors of this company.
I have been threatened that failure to pay this amount will lead to forfeiture of my lease.
Can they do this? Would they not first have to satisfy their claim by getting the bailiff to attach my movable property (furniture) and sell it to satisfy their claim?
I also need to know whether they would be able to force me to pay for their legal costs for a claim of GBP 1600.00 in the County Court? I ask this, as I was under the impression that one cannot claim for legal costs for an amount which is under
GBP 10 000.
I look forward to your response in regard to the above.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Does your lease allow them to charge legal fees for Court action?