Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Two years conveyancing experience.
13113900

My husband and myself are purchasing a property with my father.

My husband and myself are purchasing a property with my father. Can we have joint tenancy in all 3 names?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
Yes you can own the property in three names. The maximum number of co owners you can have named as the legal owners on a property title is 4.
So yes you can have three joint tenants.
Can I assist any further?
AJ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi yes I we are in the process of purchasing the property with no mortgage and my solicitor who is dealing with conveyancing has just e mailed to say we cannot have joint tenancy in 3 names, that only in 2 names. Also, can the joint tenancy be for life or is it limited in time?

Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
That is not correct - up to 4 people can be legal joint tenants. Any more they would have to be beneficial owners as defined in a trust document.
You can let the joint tenancy last as long as you require. You can agree a set up principles in a deed of trust to determine if and how the joint tenancy can be dissolved.
AJ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank-you and kind regards

S J Forde

Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
I wish you the best of luck.
AJ