75100385

Can my local authority take over a empty property in their

Can my local authority take over a empty property in their area where it is owned by a private individual? If they can would they have to pay rent to the the owner if another person was 'housed' there by the council? Can they force the owner to sell or occupy the building?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Yes they can.
They can get a Property Management Order. They go before a Land Tribunal and ask them to make an order, the owner can object.
If the Tribunal does then the Local Authority will put a tenant there and pay rent to the property owner. The LA can at a later date force a sale of the property to them.
It is usually done in areas where there are abandoned properties and the LA has a housing shortage.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Alex

Thank you for your reply.

Can the owner go to the Council before any order is put in place, to agree a timeline where action can be taken to put sell or rent out the property (i believe in my case no order has been granted but has been sought) ie 6 months for example to stop any such order being given

Yes the owner can and they can withdraw any action.
Does that help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thx for your help Alex

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.