Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 20 years experience
27487359

My neighbour has built a garage conversion next door to mine.

my neighbour has built a garage conversion next door to mine. inoticed they were building it very close and on 3 occations told them it was going to be too close. Now they have finished the building and it is not only close it actually overhangs my garage by about 6 inches. what can i do about it?
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
Have you spoken with the neighbour?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I have spoken to him several times throughout the build pointing out my concerns that his build was too close. He denied it was too close all through until last week when they tried to put the guttering on. Clearly he was unable to do this as it was overhanging my building so they got on my garage roof and fitted the guttering. I then said well so have now got to admit it is overhanging my garage and he admitted it was. He then said what do you want me to do? I said I suggested he speak to his builder and check he has got insurance for compensation . As the knock on effect for me means that when I attempt to do my garage I will have to come back at least a foot leaving me less space for my building.
The starting point is that he is not allowed to have any of his conversion on your property without your permission. This is thus a very clear trespass and you are allowed to apply to the court to have it removed from your land. You would also be entitled to apply for damages. You will need a surveyor to confirm that the garage has trespassed on to your land. I would also suggest that you get a solicitor to write to him formally and set out the complaint and that you want the trespass to be removed.Please remember to rate positively