Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 20 years experience
27487359

Landlord asked my daughter to vacate flat as work to be done

Customer Question

landlord asked my daughter to vacate flat as work to be done ,made no effort to offer alternative home she was on a rolling contract,he asked for keys for workmenand gave her her deposit backto help her expenses,the flat was then paited and relet,she had no notice given to herand only has a txt on her phone saying she could move back mid august.what can she do???
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
So was the property relet when she was out?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes in the period that she was asked to vacate,also the property was only re painted and he had said they wanted to do damp proofing work as soon as painted they started to show people the flat according to another tenant

Ok well this is clearly in breach both of the law and the contract. She is entitled to bring a claim for compensation against him. She should have been compensated for the time when she was effectively homeless - he should have sorted some accommodation for her and she can bring a claim for this period if she wishes. She should also contact trading standards with respect to his actions.PLease remember to rate