How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Judge Your Own Question
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 33036
Experience:  Over 20 years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Thomas Judge is online now

My ex took out a secured loan on family home in 2007,

Resolved Question:

My ex took out a secured loan on family home in 2007, apparently i signed a form that allowed him to do this. The debt is just in his name and he never paid it. Now the house is to be sold and the loan company want me to also pay the money from my share but are refusing to send me details of the loan bevause the ex wouldn't allow it. What are my rights if any ? Can they enforce the contract to claim my share. How can i pay for it if i cant see the contract or its terms

Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
You are entitled to proof of any debt to which they say you are liable. Otherwise you can refuse to pay the sum to them. You would also need to raise with them as to whether the contract is valid against you. I would strongly recommend that you get a solicitor to formally write to them (this is money spent which could save you a lot) - certain contracts have very strong rules about people signing and the advice that they should receive for the contract to be valid. There may also be a limitation point which could be advanced. But you need to act as soon as possible.Please rate positively
Thomas Judge and 4 other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you