Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  UK solicitor holding an England and Wales practising Certificate.
28732269

My siblings and I inherited a property. I would like the

Customer Question

Hi, my siblings and I inherited a property. I would like the value of that property but I my siblings are reluctant to sell or get a mortgage to give me my share of the property's value. As a last resort, is there legal leverage that can be employed if they remain stubborn?
many thanks
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
HiThanks for your patience. Are you named on the registered title for the property? Kind regards Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I think so, although I haven't seen a copy of the deeds. Presumably, that would make all the difference?

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Hi Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.If you are not yet registered and the property is in the name of the deceased the you should consult with your siblings about arranging for the property to be registered in your names. Once registered, you can force the sale of the property by making (or posturing to make) an application to Court. If your siblings cannot demonstrate sufficient finance to receive a mortgage offer to buy you out and transfer the equity in to his name then this may be your only option. A local solicitor would be able to do this for you and these orders are seldom refused by the Court.Although you will almost certainly get the order the proceedings can take quite a long time to sort out because there can be issues in determining what is a fair value of the property My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question. Kind regards,Tom