Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Can i install an electric fence to my lorry trailer to deter

Customer Question

can i install an electric fence to my lorry trailer to deter imigrants accessing it
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 1 year ago.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is it legal to install an electric fence to my lorry trailer to deter intruders.we were thinking of the similar fenceing used to deter animals on farms
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 1 year ago.
Is it parked on private land?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no it travels to europe and back
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 1 year ago.
There is nothing unlawful per se in use of electric fences.
The only issue is personal injury really. The practical reality is that this just plain would not arise in the circumstances you describe. The people you are trying to deter would not sue for personal injury and anyway would have to get over the hurdle of illegality if they did as they shouldn't be entering your lorry.
The only issue you might want to consider would be if another innocent person touched the van for a legitimate reason and received a shock. You could mitigate that to a degree by signing the presence of electric fencing.
Given the risks that you face though I can completely see why this is an option for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you jo you have been very helpfull.
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 1 year ago.
No problem and all the best.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/