Matt Jones
Matt Jones, Solicitor
Experience:  I am a qualified and practicing Solicitor with over 7 years post qualification experience
13732703

Can neighbour claim my land where I have let him park his car

Can neighbour claim my land where I have let him park his car for years
Expert:  Matt Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hi, can you tell me a bit more about this? How long has he parked there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Over fithteen years his son inlaw and daughter also park there car and van there they stay in flat down the road got my title deeds it says it my land and no commercial vans are to be parked there
Expert:  Matt Jones replied 1 year ago.
Give you give permission for this, or was it a case of you just not realising it was your land?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry can confirm do I have any rights
Expert:  Matt Jones replied 1 year ago.
Sorry my question above should have been "Did you give permission for this, or was it a case of you just not realising it was your land?". I can only advise you when I have all of the facts. Did you say 15 years ago that he could park there, or has he/they just always done it for the past 15 years?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wasn't sure if it was my land but have title deeds now and it is I didn't mind him parking there but he told me he can claim the the land cause he has parked there
Expert:  Matt Jones replied 1 year ago.
And, final question, is this land something anyone can access, or just your neighbour? what i mean by this is does it appear, to someone who doesn't know the actual legal boundaries, part of your neighbours land and contained by a fence or something similar, or is it open to anyone to walk/park on it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His property is flat above shop his door is at rear of property of which he has right of access on foot path rest of area is open Tarmac area with wall boundary no fence
Expert:  Matt Jones replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks. in that case i don't think he can make a claim to the land, and you can give him notice to leave. For someone to claim a "right" to park they will have had to utilise this right for over 20 years. For them to claim the actual land as their it is 12 years, but they have to incorporate the land into their own to the exclusion as others (i.e by putting a fence around it)
Expert:  Matt Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hope this helps. Do ask any follow up questions