tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer with 9 years experience of advising on property issues.
73598664

I am a Leasholder/ Share of Freehold in a block of

Customer Question

I am a Leasholder/ Share of Freehold in a block of flats. In the communal grounds are some small storage sheds. Each shed is numbered I was given the original 1930's key to the original lock on the shed whose number corresponded with my flat number when I purchased my flat over 20 years ago. I or my tenants have used the shed for storage ever since. There is no mention of the shed in my Lease. The Management Company now want to demolish the sheds. Do I have any rights to the shed? (Squatter's Rights? - Although I am not squatting when I was given the key from the previous owner...)
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 2 years ago.

Hi thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I can help with this.

You can only gain "squatters rights" - or, more legally - acquire land by way of adverse possession, if you were not entitled to be on the land, or in the shed, concerned to start with. If you were, becasue the landlord gave you permission or keys to it, then you cannot claim "adverse possession".

If you were not there with permission, or stayed after permission was revoked, then if you have been there for more than 12 years, you may be able to claim advese possession.

Hope this answers your question.

Tony