Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

My father gave me part of his house and garden to build an

Customer Question

My father gave me part of his house and garden to build an extension and form 2 houses his one and our new one as semi detached 3 bed houses.
How do we go about legally splitting the property while also claim a strip of land we have used for over 34 years which is not on the tittle deeds ? This is in England !
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

I am Al and am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

As regards ***** ***** properties, your Father will have to get a Plan prepared (to scale) showing the extent of your land, and then instruct a Solicitor to prepare a "Transfer of part "document, which will refer to the Plan and which acts as the document, transferring the land to you. The Transfer willneed to be signed by both of you and then registered at the Land Registry.

As regards ***** ***** of land, you will need to apply to the Land Registry for "possessory title". There is a set form for this, which your Solcitor will be able to assist you with. The application will have to state that you have possessed the land for over 12 years, without the consent of the true owner, and without dispute. The Land Registry's Surveyor will come and inspect the land, after receiving the application, to check that it is indeed "within your ownership". If he is happy that it is, you will be granted possessory title of the land.

I hope this assists and answers your questions.

Kind Regards

Al

Can I assist you any further?

Kind Regards

Al