Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 20 years experience
27487359

My neighbour keeps flooding my garden daily with his hose pipe

Customer Question

My neighbour keeps flooding my garden daily with his hose pipe he uses it excessively the water sits on top of our garden and is running down the foot path to a drain in the road we ask them to turn it off and they are not interested. What can we do?
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the question. If the neighbour is acting in this manner then the likelihood is he is causing damage to your property. As such you have a potential claim against him for damages for nuisance. You should write to him formally putting him on notice that you will bring a claim against him should this persist. It is often easier to get a solicitor to write such a letter as it often carries more weight. Other things you can consider is raising a complaint with your water company. They may have hosepipe restrictions and also contacting your local authority as this could also be considered to be anti social behaviour. Happy to discuss. Please remember to rate positively - thanks