75100385

I am a secure council tenant, if my daughter is allowed to

I am a secure council tenant, if my daughter is allowed to move in with me, would it be legal for me to rent a second home in another borough without it affecting my secure tenancy.and does council tax have to be the tenants name, or can you suggest a way to get around this Eg keeping a room at my main home. Thank you.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
You need to check your tenancy agreement, but generally no. This is because a condition is you only need a Council property because you have nowhere else. If you then rent somewhere else not only are you stopping someone who may need a property more than you, but you could move into the other property.
This is likely to be a breach of your tenancy agreement. Sadly there is no way around having 2 properties. Council tax will need to be in your name. So sadly there is no way your daughter can have a property in her name, except for the second non council property.
She could then live there. But you can't rent both as this would be a breach and they would start possession proceedings.
I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the One I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I read online its ok to own a second property.so could i live between two addreses, do councils routinely check houseing and council tax l.ists or only if there sucpiscius about something

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Yes they do check. Its not illegal to have more than one property etc. But as I said, you MUST check your contract. If they find out they are likely to issue proceedings for possession. They do routinely check.
Does that clarify?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.