Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 20 years experience
27487359

My neighbour and I have up till now agreed to replace an very

Customer Question

My neighbour and I have up till now agreed to replace an very old front fence but this was NOT half way between both properties .The old fence was a at least a foot inside there garden and as far as we know is at least eight years old (we have been owners for one year).should the boundary be exact between both properties.
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.
Ideally the boundary should be on the boundary line. The fact that it has been situated on a different line for 8 years is not long enough to have obtained some squatters rights or adverse possession - if you both agree that it is on the wrong line it may prove to be cheaper (and to avoid a neighbour dispute, which could harm the property when you come to sell) to agree the correct boundary line now. Happy to discuss. Please rate positively - thanks