Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 20 years experience
27487359

My neighbour wants me to reduce the size of my leylandii trees

Customer Question

my neighbour wants me to reduce the size of my leylandii trees about 20 of them i can not afford to pay for this as i have two large loans with a bank if they want this done i would ask them to pay .how do istand on this
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.
Strictly speaking if the leylandi is over the height of two metres and there are more than 2 trees (you report that you have 20) then they can invite the local council to take action. It is technically a breach of Section 8 of the Anti-Social Behaviour Act (2003). They are permitted to cut down branches which stretch into their garden. It is your responsibility to maintain the trees in law if they are your trees. As such you are liable. I would suggest that you have a chat with them as to your financial difficulties and invite them to cut down or trim the trees at their expense. This may work as a sensible compromise. Please remember to rate positively - thanks
HI I hope that this helps - please remember to rate positively - thanks