Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I purchased a large scree HD television set from Richer Sounds

I purchased a large scree HD television set from Richer Sounds plc on 18 July 2012 for £1500.
It stopped working today, and I am told by both an independent TV engineer and Richer Sounds that it is a screen fault that would cost about £750 to repair.
Please advise me if I have any rights, and if so, against whom.
The TV is a Samsung and I am told that under EEC Regulations The TV should be "fit for purpose" for 6 years.
Certainly, £500 pa for viewing for 3 years seem expensive!
If you feel there is anything I can do, please avise me how I should proceed.
ollod that
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 1 year ago.
I'm afraid the EEC regulations do not guarantee a product for six years. What they do is place a six year limitation upon an action which is actually all the old Limitation act 1980 used to do.
The Sale of Goods Act does cover this type of purchase and that would give you a claim against the seller. The first six months of sale have long since past though so it would be for you to prove this did not last a reasonable period. In fairness, this is an expensive item and one might have expected it to last longer than this.
The other alternative is to pursue the manufacturer on the basis of negligence but that is not the best action I'm afraid. it is much harder to do with a much lower test.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your prompt ans sensible reply.

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 1 year ago.
No problem and all the best.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/