Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I am renting a house. I have given landlord a notice that I

I am renting a house. I have given landlord a notice that I am moving out. I still have a month deposit. The landlord wants the house keys now. I am afraid she may enter the house in my absence and change the locks. I don't have a tenancy agreement. What should I do?
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 1 year ago.
What type of contract is this and when are you due to move out?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We paid one month deposit and one month rent. After that we were paying every month into the landlord's bank account. The landlord promised to bring the tenancy agreement but never did. A month ago I gave two months' notice about moving out. It was agreed that we won't be paying last month's rent and live the deposit out. Now the landlord wants the house keys. I am afraid she wants to enter the house in our absence.
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 1 year ago.
I presume she has a spare anyway?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If she has why would she insist on getting one from us? She threatened to call the police to charge me for preventing her to access the property. Since I don't have a signed tenancy agreement I don't know what rights I have. I have proof that I paid the rent and council tax, I have utility bills in my name. My post comes to this address.
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 1 year ago.
Well, for instance, she may not want you to have access.Does this mean you don't know whether she has a spare set or not?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't. She never tried to enter before.
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 1 year ago.
OK. When are you supposed to leave?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My deposit lasts until the 9th of October.
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 1 year ago.
Ok. The landlady cannot just enter. You are on a periodic tenancy agreement and so you are entitled to remain until the notice expires. That said, she is entitled to a set of keys as she is entitled to reasonable entry but that is a separate point. If she does enter and seek to evict you then that is a criminal offence as it amounts to unlawful eviction.
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 1 year ago.
Of course, that doesn't mean she won't do it. Landlords do commit offences sometimes. If so you just call the police.
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 1 year ago.
Who will be delighted to deal with a proper crime for a change instead of mediating domestic squabbles and investigating allegations of sexual abuse against dead people.
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much! I am going to have a good sleep tonight! No more worries.
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 1 year ago.
No problem.
All the best.
Please remember to rate my answer.