Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 20 years experience
27487359

Do I need to remove a charge before selling a property

Hi do I need to remove a charge before selling a property
Thank you for your question
My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you
You do not have to redeem the charge before you sell the property - but you do need to pay the Charge off on Completion so you will need to check that there will be sufficient funds to do so
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The situation is I have finished paying the debt I have the bank confirmation but the charge is still on my deeds trying to sell the the property urgently will this affect the exchange or completion of the property sale do I have to make sure the charges are removed before exchange and completion

Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
It will not affect the sale. The conveyancing solicitor will deal with the remove of the charges as per normal with any other sale at completion. There is thus nothing to prevent the sale of the property. Please rate positively - thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can this situation delay the exchange and completion cause I was told the other solicitors will not be willing to complete until the charge has been removed plus it may time for the land registry to deal with the removal

No this is very common and will not be an issue for your solicitors - it will not delay the sale of the property.Please rate positively - thanks
Thomas Judge, Lawyer
Experience: Over 20 years experience