Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 20 years experience
27487359

A tile has fallen off a property that I rent to tenants, and

A tile has fallen off a property that I rent to tenants, and caused some damage to the car. The car was parked not in an official parking space, but in front of the house near the porch. However, the tenants are stating that I am responsible for paying for the damage, but I cannot see how. Is this not an act of god, or am I missing something from a legal standpoint. I have not had the roof inspected for a while, the house is 19 years old.
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
These cases are quite complicated. Just because your tile caused the damage does not automatically mean that you are liable. In order for the neighbour to claim you are liable they will have to demonstrate that you were negligent in maintaining your roof. They will need to show that your roof was in a poor state of repair and that as a result this caused the accident. That will not from what you have written (a roof which is only 19 years old) be easy to prove. In any event they should notify their insurers and indeed you should alert your insurers to the potential risk. Happy to discuss - please rate positively - thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you - I have read that I could be liable if the weather was below storm force, I am not sure what constitutes storm force. Any ideas?
Storm force - (on the Beaufort scale) force 10 0r 11 I hope that this helps - please rate positively - thanks
Please remember to rate positively - thanks