75100385

I am on the tenancy agreement and I have lodger family which

Customer Question

I am on the tenancy agreement and I have lodger family which is not moving out now. How do I fight against this?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
What type of agreement do they have? I assume you are a landlord?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am not a landlord. I have one year contract with the landlord but I gave one room to a family for few weeks as I had a spare room.

the landlord knows about it but he said now I cant keep them in house. What should I do?

Ok, in effect you are sub letting and you want these people out? Are THEY named on the tenancy too?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no. They are not. The tenancy is only on my name.

Ok, technically you can just give them written notice and if they refuse to move then change the locks.
But the safest way may be to get a Court possession order. You would need to issue proceedings using form n1:
http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n001-eng.pdf
The court will list the matter for hearing and decide whether to make them leave. If they still refuse then you would be able to get a bailiff to evict.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

they went to local council to get help and they say that council has said them not to move as I m not the landlord

but till the contract is on me, the house is my responsibility, isn't it? And I can take action if they don't leave, right?

Yes you can. You can still evict, you are THEIR landlord.
Does that help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok. So I can change the locks of the door and then if they come I can call the police, right?

Correct, after you have given notice.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi. As you told me to change locks and everything but I was told by a solicitor that I can't as the Mai landlord doesn't stay with me that means that I have sublet the property and I can't give him notice like that. I have to file a case to evict them and that can be done by the main landlord. What is right and wrong?

You have lodgers, you can change locks. Its not like you are subletting exclusive, you have lodgers.

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.