How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

If a property owner converts their detached garage to living

Resolved Question:

If a property owner converts their detached garage to living accommodation and rents it out i assume it become liable for council tax ? eventually the owner wants to use it for herself as a art studio would the council tax then still be payable ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Is the detached garage self contained, or does it form part of the main property?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.


Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Self contained, ie loo, bedroom etc?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.


Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ok then yes it would be liable for its own Council tax as it is a separate dwelling. If you convert it to a studio and its part of the main dwelling, ie the owner lives in the house and uses the studio then no Council tax is payable as its not a separate dwelling.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what would be the situation if she used it as her art studio at a later date and did not rent it ?

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
It would form part of the main household and no additional Council Tax payable. Would need to inform them.
Does that help?
Ash and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.


Related Property Law Questions