LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Solicitor
Experience:  Experienced solicitor
76316425

Have occupied a piece of land adjacent to a property I am rent

Have occupied a piece of land adjacent to a property I am rent for many years this was unregistered land the council have now lodge the land on landmark June 2015 claiming ownership no previous corespondance I have been between us and they have not main tended the property I have
Have I any rights to fight this case since I have continued to use this land for many years without any action from the council or any fees being paid to them
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you.
Can you tell me a bit more please.
How have you occupied the land?
when did you do so?
What did you use it for?
What was the land ued fro before you occupied it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The land is ne t to rental property which I have lived in since 2009

the land was made vacant when two shops were knocked down

I have used it to store my works tools and use as a maintenance yard

only been approached by council since July when they ask me to maintain a fence They have never done any work to the property

was vacant bit of land when properties were knocked down nobody else were interest so I look after

As you have only been occupying the land for 6 years you have no rights over this piece of land.
I am sorry to give you this answer as I know ti is not what you were hoping to hear. I have to give you a straight answer though, rather than raising false hopes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

In the conveyance of the land date 08 1988 was that British railways owned the land under a freehold conveyance between the council and British railways the council only registered ownership on landmark July 2015 how long have you have to occupy the land since I will check exact date I was on land with landlord when I took up tenancy it could be 2008 cannot ember exactly

10 years if the land is registered and 12 years if it is unregistered (so probably 10) but this will only enable you to make a claim and will not guarantee success.