Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 20 years experience
27487359

I am looking on a property that both owners have

Customer Question

hi I am looking for advice on a property that both owners have died this week
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
What is your question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The couple owned property jointly and the wife passed away on the 5th September and the husband passed away on the 8th September. The wifes family have the property keys, am I legally ok to have the locks changed as I am a member of the husbands family

who is the heir or executor?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The couple left mirror wills therefore no executor as they nominated each other. The couple had no children hence why each side of their family is acting for each of the couple. I am related to the husband who died after the wife but the wifes family has the keys to the property and are reluctant to release them to me. Therefore I am just trying to check if I have a second lock added so that we both need to be in attendance at the property, if this is legal for me to do so?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am in possession of the husbands death certificate as I am arranging his funeral

Well yes some one has to take responsibility until an executor is appointed. Your approach seems very sensible, particularly as you are arranging the funeral. I would of course keep the other side of the family involved in the arrangements. Happy to discuss - please rate positively
I hope that helps - please remember to rate positively - thanks