Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 20 years experience
27487359

I have just found out the the property I purchased a few weeks

I have just found out the the property I purchased a few weeks ago is marked as having fraudulent activity in the past. This has come up when my son went to renew his car insurance and their wont insure him this time and he's had to go with somebody else costing him an extra £100. Can I do anything about this? Should this have been picked up by my conveyancer ? Thank you in anticipation of your help.
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.
what type of thing has happened?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We don't know. My son phoned his insurance company this morning to renew his insurance and was told that they wouldn't renew it because the house has had fraudulent activity in the past. I know the house was owned by an eldly chap that went in to care and his daughter was selling the house. I think she rented it for a 6 month period prior to us buying it. We do get letters at times for three people we have never heard of. But in terms of the activity prior to us buying I don't know. I hope this helps.
I see. This typo of thing would not be flagged up by a conveyancer in a search and as such I a afraid that you would not have a claim against them in negligence as being something which they missed. I rather think that your only recourse is to write to the insurance company and advise that you now own the property (provide proof) and invite them to reconsider their position. Happy to discuss. Please however remember to rate positively - thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not interested in a claim against the conveyancer, I just need to see if there is any way of removing this so called cloud that hangs over the property In order that we don't keep encountering this issue. Is this possible
As far as your credit rating is concerned you should not have to worry about the address. That's because these days credit checks take place on people and not simply on addresses. You can be linked to other people on your credit report, for example, if you take out joint credit. But your report won't be linked to someone else's just because you've lived at the same address. So you certainly won't be linked to the previous occupants of your new home. If you’re unconvinced, ordering a copy of your credit report will set your mind at rest as any links would be visible. I would suggest that you do this and then send to any appropriate problem insurers. Please rate positively
I hope that this helps - please now rate positive - thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything that we can do or any where we can go to to try and get this removed from the house it self?
The difficulty is that every credit company will state that it is not on the house. It may be about an area but once the insurers know that you are the new owners and your credit is ok there should not be any problems .That's because these days credit checks take place on people and not simply on addresses. So you certainly won't be linked to the previous occupants of your new home. If you’re unconvinced, ordering a copy of your credit report will set your mind at rest as any links would be visible. I would suggest that you do this and then send to any appropriate problem insurers. Please rate positively
Thomas Judge, Lawyer
Experience: Over 20 years experience