Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.
13262538

Is it possible local authority to put a legal charge

Customer Question

Is it possible for a local authority to put a legal charge on ones property without a court order?
HI
Thank you for your question
I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Could you explain a little more about your situation please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, yes of course.

The local authority have funded my elderly (95) mum,with whom I live and who jointly owns our home, a grant of up to 5K for a stairlift and a level access shower. The LA chose the lowest quote for the shower but that took us 2156 over. To meet the shortfall I applied to SSAFA for a grant, which was successful, so the work went ahead. Over the course of a week, the plumber has gone 1173 over his quote and the LA inform me they are putting a legal charge on my property for that amount. I made it clear from the outset that was not acceptable. Can they do this?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I'm not dissatisfied, I'm still waiting for the answer! I simply don't mind who answers
Have you got a copy of the paperwork you signed for the Grant?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I do not think I signed any paperwork, I certainly don't recall signing anything. I have asked the council for copies of the agreement,and a copy of the breakdown of the extra charges and am awaiting these. Apologies for my slow response, my internet can be patchy. I remain very very worried about the situation i find myself in.

Once you have the paperwork please let me know - it is what is in the Grant paperwork that is important
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I will contact you as soon as I have received the Grant paperwork.

That will be fine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Clare, I now have the paperwork in question. What is it you wish to know?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
The question has not been answered in any way. Where is my answer? I am still waiting.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Looking at the paperwork what does it say about any overspend?