Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 20 years experience
27487359

The landlord and maintence guy and myself came to agreement

Customer Question

The landlord and maintence guy and myself came to agreement that I could let another flat for a diff price as it was suitable , the landlord suddenly changed mind yest after agreeing a new flat to me fri , the landlord will not let my tenancy end, due
to the whole situation .. The flat is not safe and could lead to death in some of the circumstances in there eg wiring , cooker sparking, shower not fitted to wall could easily be electrified because the shower is shower the electric inside the wall
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.
what do you want to know?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
have let a flat off ***** ***** as I went to the property on Friday 18th sept the flat was the wrong one it was not even the flat I viewed or seen before . As I entered the property the problems in there let alone regarding my own health and safety was dangerous.. the flat is not suitable and ***** ***** will not deal with me as I have the contract even though it's not for one I viewed..i have paid 375 admin fee. 375 rent up front and 425 bond.. but i signed uin the estate agents, untill i got to the property i realised they gave the wrong flat as i didnt view the flat 4, i seen flat 3....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
here some pictures
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THERE ARE THE LAST FEW EMAILS FROM ***** *****RE: Flat*****Lettings (*****@******.***)
Add to contacts
21/09/2015
[Keep this message at the top of your inbox]
Photos
To: ***** ***** Cc: LettingsHi Caroline,In response to your email You will be receiving a call to confirm the works are completed.Please note that we do not manage this property and any concerns you may have you will need to speak to the landlord or Matt.Kind RegardsJody FooteLettings BranchTel: 01639 798200
Email:***@******.***
Address:***** Neath, SA11 1NB
www.petermorgan.netFrom: ***** ***** [mailto***@******.***]
Sent: 19 September 2015 12:28
To: Lettings
Subject: RE: Flat*****Was my email acknowledged***** *****On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 8:52 AM -0700, wrote:To whom this concernsMyself ***** ***** -flat 4*****SA6 8JWI have been instructed directly from the landlord and matt (maintence person) to email you because , after signing and receiving the keys for flat 4 sept 18 , I was completely disappointed to the findings once seen the property!1- the flat was to small , not what I originally viewed2- to my disbelief the shower was not attached to the wall, which this could have led to serious injurys and fatail if used !3-sockets not fixed and not finished , the wiring was hanging from sockets!!4-the cooker switch when pressed was sparking --5 -window sill cracked in living room and stinking!Do I need to go on? Appalling state for a tennet to be even stepping foot in the flat due to health and safety issuesAfter speaking to matt the maintence person , he said himself the property was not completed and appalled by the every concern mentioned above ! After many discussions with matt and landlord we have now agreed to end this tennacy with effect from Tuesday 22nd of September and for a new tennacy agreement drawn up for flat 7 . Without any additional costs added what so ever! This has all been confirmed with landlord , myself , matt and your selfs ***** ***** !On Tuesday morning 22nd September at 10 am I will come and expect my new tennacy agreement on flat 7 along with the keys and correct keys including the postbox key .Yours sincerely***** *****On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 2:24 AM -0700, "Lettings" wrote:Fab see you SoonLettings BranchTel: 01639 798200
Email:***@******.***
Address:***** Neath, SA11 1NB
www.petermorgan.netFrom:***@******.*** [mailto***@******.***]
Sent: 18 September 2015 10:22
To: Lettings
Subject: RE: Flat*****Yes she with me and coming***** *****On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 2:21 AM -0700, "Lettings" wrote:Hi Caroline,That’s fine see you shortly, Can you confirm the guarantor is attending with you also?Many thanksJody FooteLettings BranchTel: 01639 798200
Email:***@******.***
Address:***** Neath, SA11 1NB
Sent: 18 September 2015 10:11
To: Lettings
Subject: Re: Flat*****Hi im just letting u know I will be there for 10.45 as been waiting for a van to come***** *****On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 7:10 AM -0700, "Lettings" wrote:Dear *****Re: Flat*****We are pleased to confirm a move in date of 18/09/2015 at 10:30am at ***** ***** Lettings,***** Neath, SA11 1NB. If you have any problems with this date/time please let us know ASAP and we will do all we can to accommodate.Please note that this appointment is subject to receipt of all requested documentation.The documentation we will require you to bring with you is as follows:· Proof of addresso Utility Bill/Bank Statemento In your name at your current addresso Dated within the last 3monthso Has been posted to your current addressIf you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.Please note that you will need to bring the following payments with you:Rent: £375.00Deposit: £475.00Total: £850.00We look forward to begin the tenancy.RegardsThe Lettings TeamLettings BranchTel: 01639 798200
Email:***@******.***
Address:***** Neath, SA11 1NB
www.petermorgan.net
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what do you think
It rather seems thus that your case is that he is in breach of contract. As such you have a claim against him for that breach. You need to write formally to him advising him of the fact that he is in breach (I would be minded to get a solicitor to send such a letter) and as a consequence of his breach that you propose to leave the property and seek your money back
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so dont let them carry out or enter the flat isit
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
any work i meant
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
cant you do the letter
That would be a different question - happy to help but you would technically have to resist after giving positive rating
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i will give the feedback when i get a answer on what to do excatly
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what do you mean
I would advise them that you consider that they are in breach of contract for the reasons as set out above. What would you really like to achieve?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
refund or a let of another flat in the building
On that basis you really need to write to the landlord setting out in detail that you consider that he is in breach for the way in which he has acted in this matter. Then you should if you so wish either seek a refund or negotiate a second flat. Happy to discuss. Please rate
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the landlord is in las vegas, and im not allowed the direct number so been corresponding through the maintenance guy matt , and I have tried to negotiate and I thought we did on fri for flat 7 but then on Monday the landlord said no, I said I will go down legal road, and apparently the landlord said go on then
I see. Then that really should be your approach - they are rather calling your bluff.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that's what I thought, what should be my next step, the landlord is away so this could take a few months to solve do you think?
I am happy to give further advice - but can you please rate positive for the original answer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
wha should I do regarding him being away etc
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have gven my rating
You have the details of the letting agents - they are his agents and as such any letter can be served on them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, any templates I can use to write this letter? ..they have stated they have nothing to do with the let at all now..i have tried and tried
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
heres some more pics
Well it will also really depend on what type of tenancy he had and whether it is transferrable
where do you pay rent?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
paid in the estate agents on a credit card..for the bond and month up front rent
So the agent is still really the point of call. If you get a solicitor to write the letter then I would not expect too many problems.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok
My pleasure