Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 20 years experience
27487359

Last year had a jointly owned property with my Ex Re-possessed

Customer Question

Last year had a jointly owned property with my Ex Re-possessed , it was sold for a shortfall of £80,000 The debt recovery came after me and im paying a monthly payment, they have not gone after my ex she is paying nothing ?
My Question is :
The debt is a joint debt how and why are they not chasing my Ex, she is living the life of riley Posh cars she owns 3 houses, I am struggling to make ends meet......
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. As the debt is joint and several the mortgage company is not obliged to chase you both, they are entitled to chase one of you for the whole debt. However under Civil Liability (Contribution) Act 1978, you are entitled to claim a contribution from your partner for her share of the debt. Does she have the means to pay? Kind regards AJ
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.
have you spoken with the mortgage company?