How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Judge Your Own Question
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 33038
Experience:  Over 20 years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Thomas Judge is online now

I am a therapist and currently working from home. Another therapist

Customer Question

I am a therapist and currently working from home. Another therapist and I would like to buy a residential flat and work from we need change of use and is it possible to buy it with a buy to let mortgage and rent it out o our business/ many thanks
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The flat has it's own entrance and we do not expect to work with more than 10 clients a day.
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
From what you have written it is very likely that you will need planning permission to convert the property from a home to a business. Whatever business you carry out from your home, - the key test is: is it still mainly a home or has it become business premises? From what you are writing it will not be a home. If you are in doubt you may apply to your council for a Certificate of Lawful Use for the proposed activity, to confirm it is not a change of use and still the lawful use. As to the buy to let mortgage this really does depend on the lender's requirements. Most take the view that buy to lets apply to homes rather than businesses. However you would need to show a business plan and as such you could still be eligible. Happy to discuss. Please rate positive.
Thomas Judge and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The property is in Westminster and tried to find an online application on their website without success..should i do it or shall I ask for professional help??
many thanks
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
I would give them a call and they may be able to help.