75100385

I jointly own a property while the other party was in prison

i jointly own a property while the other party was in prison i had the cavity walls insulated he is now thereatening to sue me for doing this
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
What is the basis for suing you? Is he saying the work wasnt up to standard?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no the work is fine he says i had no right to do it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when it was done he and i could not have contact as there was a restraining order in place he says that he did not want the work doing snd i had no right to do it even though i part own the property.
the heating bill has been reduced by 2/3 but according to him this is because he wasn't in the property
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
So what is his loss? The work is fine, so what would be the point of suing you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he states that the house has thermo lite blocks as insulation and the work was unnecessary the firm that did the cavity wall insulation did put a vent in one of the rooms which he wants removing i can only guess that he is sueing me because i had the work done without his permission
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry i forgot to mention the cavity wall insulation was free {because of a govt sceme)
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
It makes no difference it was done without permission - you are joint owners. Unless there was any specific agreement that says you both MUST agree beforehand then you dont need to. But even if he went to Court he would have to show he has suffered some sort of loss - I can't see what the loss is.
If he is saying there is no vent and there should be then he could in theory sue the contractors for not putting one in - but not you. You didnt install it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the contractors did put a vent in that he claims is unnecessary as we have a chimney and he wants it removing but you have answered my question thank you