Nicola-mod
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator
73944119

According to my property deeds, my neighbour has a right of access fro

Customer Question

According to my property deeds, my neighbour has a right of access from the pavement outside the houses, up the path between the two properties (my land) and all the way to the end of my garden on the right hand side (next to his fence). He currently has a gate that allows him access to the path between our houses by his back door.
He is planning a rear extension and is proposing moving his rear access gate further down my garden. The proposed gate would open in the middle of my established flower bed.
He says he is entitled to relocate his gate anywhere along the fence line as his right of way goes to the very end of my garden.
Is this true? Can I stop him?
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.
Firstly I would be surprised by this particularly with respect to him being allowed a gate on your land, if this is what he is proposing. The starting point will be for you to obtain from the Land Registry a copy of both your deeds and his deeds together with both plans. This will set out clearly the basis of his right of way - most rights of way are either by foot or vehicle over the land - that is all. It does not usually give you the right to extend or indeed put gates on someone else land. Happy to discuss. Please rate positive.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
This person seems to have missed the point entirely.
Happy to discuss.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The properties are typical victorian terraces with front and back gardens. There is a fence running from the rear of the properties to the end of the gardens. Between the two properties, and on my side of the fence, there is an alleyway that belongs to me. My neighbour has a gate in the fence by his back door that he uses to access the alleyway. He has right of access to walk down the alley, between the two house, to the front gardens.
My neighbour is proposing to extend his property into his garden and up to the boundary fence removing the existing gate. He would like to relocate the gate further down the fence into the garden.
My problem is that this gate would then open into my garden. In fact, it would open into my flower bed.
The deed is very old and in fact just a pencil drawing! It shows a red line, indicating the right of access, from the pavement at the front of the properties, up the alleyway, past the existing gate, and all the way to the end of my garden. It is on this basis that my neighbour believes he is entitled to relocate his gate.
Is he correct?
I do not from what you have written think that he is entitled to relocate his gate. I would formally get this checked by a solicitor who can look at the plan but from what you have written it does not appear to me that he can relocate his fence. Happy to discuss. Please rate positive.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As I say the right of access on the plans is from the pavement at the front of the properties all the way up the garden path, up the alley between the properties, to the end of the back gardens. The existing fence is effectively half way along this line.
He seems confident that as he has right of access to the end of my back garden, he can move his gate anywhere along the fence.
Why don't you think this is right? I am obviously pleased you think this but am keen to understand the basis of your opinion.
The basis of the opinion is that he has a right of access - this does not mean he has a right to put a fence which goes on to your property
Please rate positive
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't understand? He's not putting a fence on my property?
No but the fence goes onto your land when being used - that it is a trespass
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes but as I say he has right of access on my side of the fence so when he opens his relocated gate he will be walking onto my land (which he has right of access to).
Yes he has a right of access to walk but this does not give him any other rights. I hope that helps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You've confused me again... so are you saying he DOES have a right of access then to move the gate then? If you don't know the answer, please don't guess. I'll find out elsewhere.
No that it not what I was saying. I did not say that. Please re-read what I said.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You said:
"this does not mean that he has a right to put a fence which goes onto your property"
This doesn't make sense to me as this is not what my neighbour is proposing to do and is not what I asked. There is an existing fence between the two properties. He has a right of access along the length of the fence on my side. He would like to move the gate, not the fence.
You said:
"No but the fence goes into your land when being used - that it is a trespass"
This confused me because the fence doesn't go onto my land when being used? The fence doesn't move. The gate opens and closes. And I am not sure it is a trespass because on my side of the fence he has right of access.
You said:
"Yes he has right of access to walk but this does not give him any other rights."
Are you saying that if you hold a right of access you don't have a right to move the access point to it? ie. the gate
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you just cancel the question please? It seems to me that this so called expert didn't have the expertise to answer the question. I assume I don't have to pay?