Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 20 years experience
27487359

I am the sole leaseholder of my property, and have sub-let

I am the sole leaseholder of my property, and have sub-let out the other room. We weren't on any sort of contract for a year, but I wrote one up in July which we both signed. It is a year with six month break clause. One of the conditions of the contract was bills were to be paid on time, which hasn't happened on a regular basis. I was wondering firstly whether this contract which I wrote was valid, and secondly, does this give me grounds to evict with one month's notice? Also, would she be considered sub-tenant or lodger?
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
As a live in landlord you only need to give 'reasonable notice' to ask a lodger to leave. This is normally 28 days but could be shorter. Ideally it would have been set out in the agreement which you entered into with the lodger. This would normally set out the conditions of your 'licence' (remember it's not a tenancy), as well as agreeing a set of house rules up front before you move in. I hope that helps. Please rate positive.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks very much, that's extremely helpful. I just wanted to know for sure whether the 'tenancy contract' I wrote and signed is actually a legal document or whether it isn't legally valid (just an informal agreement?) because technically I'm a live-in landlord and she is a lodger?

Yep. I hope that helps - please rate positive.