Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 20 years experience
27487359

Is it acceptable to erect larch lap fencing panels 6' wide

Customer Question

Is it acceptable to erect larch lap fencing panels 6' wide X 2metres high on a furled boundary adjoining the neighbouring property?
The property belonging to the landowner is approx 150 yards away from next property and both property and field are outside the envelope of the village which is very small and very rural.
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.
whose land are the fences on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My neighbours
The height of fences is a matter of planning policy. As a general rule, fences in rear gardens are allowed to be up to 2 metres high. As such his fence would appear to be within the required height. Sadly there is no right to a view. As such he is entitled to have acted in this way - you should try and speak with him to find a solution. Happy to discuss. Please rate positive
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fence is on my neighbours' land
Then as stated above he is allowed to sadly have a fence at that height. Happy to discuss. Please rate positive.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fence per se is not the issue but the materials and site I.e. Edge of a very rural field outside the village envelope
You have given a negative rating - do you want me to continue helping and set out the law?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I asked whether suburban larch lap fencing was acceptable as a boundary to a rural field outside a village envelope and also was 2 m high acceptable forward of the front of a property ?
I would be happy to provide more information but you have given me a negative rating
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Because you did not answer the original question I asked
The original question was whether the neighbour was allowed to put up such fences even if they block out your view. I am afraid that there is no right to a view and as such he is allowed to put up such fences on his land as long as they are no more than 6 foot high. But that does not stop you from talking with them and trying to find a solution to this issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That was not the original question. I repeat , is suburban larch lap fencing panels a suitable material for a field boundary in a rural situation outside the village envelope. Also is a fence 2 metres high permissible forward of the front facade of adjoining property
It is up to the neighbour as to what fence panels he chooses for the property and 2 metres is acceptable

What you may wish to do is to contact the Local Authority and enquire as to whether they have any local bye-laws which would restrict this type of fence.