wingrovebuyer
wingrovebuyer, Senior Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (Honours); PG Diploma in Law; Member of ALA; 9 years' experience
22732369

A developer is going to develop my land as a joint venture

A developer is going to develop my land as a joint venture for housing. The developer is going to loan me sufficient to pay off the mortgage on the land. The developer will be repaid out of my share of the profits on the houses. Does this loan create any
liability for SDLT?
Expert:  wingrovebuyer replied 1 year ago.
Hello. As the developer is not taking ownership of the land, and he will be repaid, this is similar to a mortgage loan rather than a sale. Accordingly, SDLT should not be payable on this element. Best, WB
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have a path over which we have a vehicle right of way and a land registry plan confirming the boundaries of the right of way. Now we have found that a narrow strip of the right of way is shown on the land registry title of the adjoining owner. We do not dispute this ownership.The path is currently unmade. Are we entitled to lay a tarmac road on the full width of the path to improve the right of way?