Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 20 years experience
27487359

I am thinking of buying a leasehold ground floor maisonette.

Customer Question

I am thinking of buying a leasehold ground floor maisonette. The freeholder seems to feel as he is taking no yearly maintenance fee that he has no responsibility for the maintenance. Can this be right and who should be paying the building insurance?
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
No this is not right - the freeholder will still have duties and obligations and these will be set out in detail in the leasehold document ('the lease'). That will also set out who has the responsibility for the building insurance - in most cases it is the freeholder. It is important that this is resolved before you buy the property. Please rate positive.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

my pleasure