75100385

My Father died recently. He was renting a flat. The landlord

Customer Question

My Father died recently. He was renting a flat. The landlord wants to shut me out of the flat. My father had many possessions, and I don't have time to remove them. I offered to pay rent to continue the tenancy until the flat is cleared, but the landlord has refused. The deadline is about to expire. The landlord says he will clear the flat without my permission. He won't tell me what he will do with them. I am poor, and need the money from the sale of the possessions so that I can pay an bill on the estate. What can I do?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Why wont the Landlord hold on, do you know?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My father was a hoarder. His flat is full of stuff. He had a run-in with the landlord some time ago. The landlord was judged by a court to have behaved unreasonably then, and it appears that he is doing the same now.

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
How much notice has the Landlord given you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. One week initially, ending today, but extended until Thursday. My Father died 4 weeks ago.

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
So only a week?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What exactly do you mean 'So- only a week?' Are you serious? Is that a question or are you just stringing me along? I am losing trust in you.

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
I just needed to clarify. The law of bailment (which applies here) says that he needs to give you a month. That means he is holding goods for you and he must keep them safe. The law says he must give you 1 month, otherwise you can sue him for loss and damage.
But I needed to clarify how long he had given you. Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?