75100385

My neighbours Leylandi Hedge is 10.5 feet high. It is

Customer Question

Hello. My neighbours Leylandi Hedge is 10.5 feet high. It is growing over into my garden along the full length of the left side. It will cost a fee which i am led to believe will not be cheap in order to cut it back.
Previous neighbours payed the same company to cut it back to perhaps 8 feet on a regular basis which kept it from causing a cost issue on my side of the fence.
Where do i stand legally on 2 issues please?
(1) Are they liable to pay my costs to cut it back ?
(2) I am thinking about asking an architect to look at my house for a possible extension. The extention would need to be on the left side of the house along the fence line where the leylandi are hence directly next to them. I do not want to waste my time & money asking for an architect & building quote I later find out that this hedge (which is really a row of dense trees) will cause later damage to building work. Or if they later decide to remove the trees it may cause foundation issues.
Please advise.... my priority answer is the cost of removing the overhang they are causing right now !
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Have you complained to the Council please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No. I don't see the point of upsetting neighbours and causing problems if there may be none. It may be that if i ask them, they will understand and solve this with me.

I would just like to know where i stand before i discuss it with them.

You are entitled to cut back anything that is overhanging the border, as long as cutting it back does not kill the tree. Sadly you are liable for the costs as you want to cut it back,
You would want a survey done before any work is carried out to make sure the roots etc wont affect the building you want to erect.
Get that done and you can be sure as to whether or not the trees will be an issue. If so then you can agree with your neighbour its a problem and take it from there.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No thank you. You have confirmed for me what i already expected. That the trees and my neighbour have bigger legs to stand on in this situ than me. I may consider moving house. Thank you.

Happy to help.

Can I help with anything else?

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.