Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I am in the process of purchasing a property and there are

I am in the process of purchasing a property and there are some pages missing on the tittle deeds is this going to be a problem with my purchase?
Regards francien
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.
I am Al and am happy to assist you with your enquiry.
Could you give me a little more information please. Do you know exactly which document is incomplete?
I look forward to hearing from you.
Al
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it just says one or more missing pages. Other than that I have 30 pages of the title deed and the plan.
Thanks for your reply.
I am sure your Solicitor will be able to confirm, but provided the Seller has title to the property, any missing information concerning the property can normally be covered by what is called "an indemnity policy". This is an insurance policy, paid for by the Seller, and it protects you from any possible claim being made against you from any third party or right which may affect the property (and which is contained in the missing pages from the Deeds).
This Policy therefore is used to cover any potential problem which may arise from whatever is contained in the missing pages and is a one off payment which your Seller will be happy to pay for, to enable the Sale to proceed and for you to be able to purchase.
I hope this assists and sets out the legal position.
Kind Regards
Al
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The seller is a developer could it be possible that he failed to register the property with land registry could his solicitor have overlooked that (not all have scruples) Taking all this into account will there be a problem in the future if I need to sell the property on?
If the property is not registered, your Solicitor would be refusing to proceed with the purchase- I am therefore guessing that possibly an old document relating to the land, or part of it is missing, in which case you will need to take advice from your Solicitor, but the indemnity policy I have mentioned would protect you in such circumstances.
Likewise, as and when you come to sell, your Buyer will also be protected and can use the indemnity policy.
You are best to speak to your Solicitor this morning for a full explanation as to what is missing.
Al