75100385

Doing a driveway, digging up the drive down to 7 inches hit

Doing a driveway, digging up the drive down to 7 inches hit main drain, I thought the legal depth should be a minimum of 2 feet now facing a bill from water company? do they have the right on their side because it was so near the top
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** and I will help you with this.
Under the water supply (water fittings) regulations 1999 it should be a depth of 750mm which is 29 inches.
So yes it should be deeper. They do not have the right to ask for payment of the bill when it's in breach of the regulations.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

A bill has been sent to the amount of 770 pounds- do I have to pay this ?

i do not want to go to court but i feel they are in the wrong

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
You have a choice. Refuse to pay it and let them take you to small claims court. Or pay it and then take them to court. You won't need a lawyer as it will be a small claim.
Does that help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I would like to write a letter and explain that they should be responsible for the pipes and it is down to them to cover the cost

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Yes I would do that, potentials you can complain to the regulator too
https://www.ofwat.gov.uk
Can clarify anything else for you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

l'm sorry one last thing what section in the regulations is the depth requirements?

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Read this
https://www.thameswater.co.uk/tw/common/downloads/your-business-developer-services/new-water-supply-regulations-guidance-notes.pdf
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

good evening

is there a template i could write out to the company

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Sadly not for this. I would just write and set out your position in that it should be (by the Regs) 750mm deep and its not. Therefore they are in breach and you are not responsible for the cost and if they pursue you will seek a Court ruling on it.
Does that help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

in an earlier reply if it was paid how do i take them to court ? and claim back?

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n001-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much and I appreciate your help and expertise. I really do appreciate it.

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Happy to help and good luck.
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.
If the system won’t let you please click reply.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.